50+ YEARS

In 1957, Leo Linquata bought the Tupman Thurlow Fish Wharf, now known as the Seven Seas Wharf. The purchase was a practical one as Leo was supplying oil – via his company, Progressive Oil – to twelve boats which were tied onto the dock.

Leo’s son Michael Linquata, wanted to build a restaurant on the property. After acquiring two partners – Kay Spittle and Fiore Masse – the restaurant opened its doors for business in April of 1958. In 1966 Michael took full control over the restaurant. Since then he has remained President of the company.

During this time, the restaurant was a white building with black shutters and occupied the front of the property where the Compass Rose function facility is now. There was dining downstairs while upstairs there was a dramatic function hall with cathedral ceilings. As today, the delicious, authentic seafood and – of course – the view were the main attractions. So attractive were these that the crew of Bewitched filmed an episode at the restaurant between 1972 and 1973. There is a great picture of Leo and Michael with the entire crew – including Liz Montomergy and Dick Sargent among the other stars – in front of the old building. In the late 70’s the Today Show also filmed
on site.

About fifteen years ago, in the early nineties, Leonard, Michael’s eldest son, came aboard as the Treasurer of the company and the Manager of The Gloucester House. “Lenny” obtained an AS degree from the Culinary Institute in America in Hyde Park, New York in 1972 and graduated from University of Massachusetts Amherst with a BS cum laude in Hotel and Restaurant Management in 1976. Lenny wears many hats around the restaurant from cooking behind the line, to creating new seafood dishes, to ensuring functions run smoothly. He has a passion for politics and local history and is an award-winning raconteur. Today, Lenny’s wife, Dottie, is the office manager and his brother, Michael Jr., is the assistant manager of the Gloucester House.

Although the restaurant was erected in 1957, today it has been completely rebuilt. Unfortunately, the building and the pilings supporting the wharf suffered much damage from the no-name storm that occurred at the end of October 1991. This was the same storm that was featured in Sebastian Junger’s book “The Perfect Storm,” and later in the film based on this story starring George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg. In the winter of 1992 the first renovation took place towards the rear of the property (closer to the harbor). This construction built a new dining area for patrons now known as “The Pub.” The newest addition was completed in November of 2006 and created a new function facility named The Compass Rose Room.

The Linquata family invites you to learn more about the amazing accomplishments of Leo and Michael. Please visit their personal pages by clicking on their respective names:

Leo Linquata

1899-1996
Leo Linquata arrived in this country from Sicily when he was two years old. He made the then treacherous journey across the Atlantic with his mother, Rosalia, and his siblings. Marco Linquata, Leo’s father, was in the port of Boston waiting for the arrival of the family.

Michael Linquata

Michael Linquata, much like his father Leo, has an impressive list of community and national accomplishments. When he was only a teenage, he volunteered to serve in the U.S. Army as a medic in WWII. To read Michael’s heroic and compelling story of his time in the European Theatre with the 134th Infantry Regiment, please click below.

Back to History